People have been visiting Corfu for centuries, from French royalty to Russian oligarchs, and more are still arriving by the boatload – for good reason. This 600 square kilometer island is steeped in history, ripe with agriculture, and blessed with gorgeous beaches. Having existed since the times of Homer, the island has developed a rich and textured culture, spanning from Greek mythology to British occupation. In tandem with its picturesque scenery, Corfu is easily one of the top destinations in Greece. When it comes to flights Corfu is a great option with a number of budget flights into the island. Here are the top 5 things to do in Corfu:
1. Visit Corfu Town The capital of Corfu has played an important role since the 8th century, and it still remains a must-see spot on Corfu. The narrow and winding cobblestone streets of the Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, are lined with the history of Corfu, with architecture ranging from ancient Greek citadels to British Neoclassical mansions.
2. Wine and Dine It would be criminal not to indulge Corfiot cuisine. Graced with abundant agriculture, fresh local produce is combined with Greek, Italian, Venetian, and British influences to create some of the best dining in all of Greece. Stop in a taverna, enjoy a sofrito with tsitsibeera (ginger beer) and a glass of Greek wine, and top off with dessert, be it British pudding or an orange plucked straight from a tree outside.
3. Set to sea Surrounded by the Ionian Sea, it’s difficult to resist the call of the water. Go for a cruise around the island in a yacht, sailboat, or even BBQ boat. Indulge in your adventurous side on the sea with some water skis or in the air while parasailing. Explore the world beneath the water with a pair of fins and a snorkeling mask.
4. Walking The natural beauty of Corfu is best explored on foot, and with the Corfu Trail, it’s easy to find yourself strolling past those beautiful sights. The Corfu Trail is a 222km footpath that covers the entire length of the island with changing scenery each hour. Enjoy beaches in the south, rolling olive groves in the central, and karst plateaus in the north.
5. Beaches Any trip to the Mediterranean will includes perfect climate and pristine beaches – Corfu is no exception. Your options for beach lounging are as long as the shoreline, and there’s plenty of it. Sandy beaches line the west of the island and pebble beaches line the east with calmer water. You can’t avoid the clear skies or blue waters no matter where you go, though.