Greece is one of the top destinations in the world to visit and offers something for everyone, from the pulsing nightlife of Mykonos to the stunning beauty of Crete, this Mediterranean heaven will not fail to deliver. Here are some of the top things to do whilst on your vacation:
1. Acropolis of Athens – this ancient gem situated in the capital is an attraction you cannot miss, but how is it different to all other feats of architecture? Apart from the Parthenon being an upstanding reminder of one of the world’s oldest and greatest civilizations, it is also unknown how the ancient Greeks actually built this perfect structure.
2. Santorini – Located in the Aegean Sea of the Mediterranean this little haven apparently provides the best sunset in the world with magnificent views of nearby islands and a friendly, neighbourhood volcano. Wandering the streets of Santorini at dusk may feel like you’ve fallen into a fairy-tale land and provides a magical atmosphere to go along with it; this beauty should definitely make an appearance on your itinerary.
3. Acropolis of Mycenae – cropping up on the list is another splendid classical piece. Travel back in time and wander through ancient walkways and buildings, culminating in the palace which was home to the famous Agamemnon and was where he returned to after the Trojan war. The ‘Lion Gates’ is an awesome feature which will begin your journey through these monumental ruins.
4. Temple of Poseidon – a trip to Greece without visiting the God of the Sea’s own temple would just not be complete. Situated on Cape Sounion the temple rises above the landscape to overlook the Aegean Sea, and still remains a landmark to sailors as it did in ancient times. Built in 444 BC this is another attraction packed full of history and myth, do not forget your camera…
5. Island of Crete – the largest of the Greek islands and lies at the crossroads of three different continents; Europe, Asia and Africa. This mythical island delivers breath-taking scenery in the form of mountains, caves and gorges, as well as a stunning coastline. The inner landscape is a heaven for exploration but attractions also exist along the edges of island, the port of Heraklion which is also the capital offers a taste of Cretan culture and cuisine, with the local population proud of their heritage and still retain their traditions, such as the Cretan dances.
Combining myth and beauty, ancient civilization with the modern age, this exquisite country is renowned worldwide and a visit here will be an unforgettable experience which will leave you with special memories. This is also a particularly good time for cheap holidays to Greece, economic problems in the country have meant that canny holidaymakers can pick up some great bargains.